Monday, February 16, 2009

Winterlude.

I've been keeping busy these last few weeks. The events and days blur into one another in my mind so do not pay attention to my horrible chronology.

I have never skated on the Rideau Canal which was my main motive for signing up for a day trip to Ottawa's Winterlude Festival with the local single's event organizer. There's also something epic about a road trip like a feeling anything can happen. In any case a day trip, 48 singles, and a yellow school bus made its way to Ottawa. The city was in a festive mood upon reaching the downtown. Hundreds of people could be seen on the canal in almost perfect zero degree weather. I made the unfortunate mistake of not bringing my own skates. So a lunch, a 30 minute line up, and a $50 deposit later I was making my way up the canal. I did 2K of the 8K stretch on my own since the group had been scattered over line ups and trips to seasonal concessions on the Rideau. Made my way back at around 2 in the afternoon. There had been a group of us by this time tired of all the reminders of winter looking for more indoors activities. I followed a small group of us but lost them and ended up window shopping till the planned evening get together at a popular Irish pub. The dinner was somewhat memorable with happy conversations only shared with perfect strangers, a shared journey and raised glasses.

The memorable day in Ottawa was shortly followed by an (anti) valentines day party a few days after. The room was full and it was nice to be amongst faces I recognize from previously attended events. I danced most of the night and shared a slow with a beautiful kindred spirit. For once a nice way to end a day I have many times ended in disappointment.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog & great concept for a blog.

    Looking forward to reading more about your adventures.

    By the way, I added you to my blogrolls.

    Cheers,
    Aurora aka Anima Blue :)

    ReplyDelete